In an answer to a previous question, I referred to "tea-partiers" as the demonym for members of the Tea Party in US politics.

But I know that's not right; demonym describes the name of the population of a physical place.

Is there a corresponding -nym or otherwise short, self-contained word for members of a political party or other abstract group?

  • Ideologies (esp, radical ones, or those the speaker is scornful of) are often collectively referred to as isms. An adherent of XXXism is an XXXist. Commented Nov 26, 2014 at 20:12
  • True, good point, but in this case I'm specifically looking for a clinical, value-judgement-free term (so that my scorn doesn't bleed through).
    – Dan Bron
    Commented Nov 26, 2014 at 20:14
  • 1
    taxonym Comment because Wikipedia is not a source.
    – SrJoven
    Commented Nov 26, 2014 at 22:27
  • 1
    I would call them Tea Partisans.
    – TimR
    Commented Nov 26, 2014 at 22:29
  • @SrJoven, it's definitely worth adding that as a answer for "A -nym word for ... abstract group". I'll upvote it at least.
    – Dan Bron
    Commented Nov 26, 2014 at 22:33

1 Answer 1


Wikipedia says that a taxonym is:

a name used for classification or identification purposes, usually signifying a relationship to something.

Which, is about as generic as you can get, plus it has that word tax in it, so of course it fits, right?

  • Ha! I didn't even think of the tax element. If I had another +1, I'd award it just for that.
    – Dan Bron
    Commented Nov 26, 2014 at 22:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.