I am looking for a specific US expression. An informal way of saying "all right, come on in" to a very good friend in a situations as follows:

  1. The (drunk) friend who is barging into my suit suite unexpectedly, and asks me to let him enter.
  2. The friend who is calling me around midnight to ask me to let him stay the night in my house.

Can I use "Barge in!" as an cool informal way of saying "come in"?


'Hi buddy, the girlfriend has kicked me out. May I stay at your place here tonight?'

'Hm... Well, you party bummer, barge in!'

Update 1

I'am looking for the exact English equivalent of Russian "заваливайся" (barge in), "вваливайся" (flock in), "проходи" (move on) or even more specifically "ладно, заваливайся", "ладно, проходи". I mean more rough, corky and informal equivalent of "come on in!", "move on!"...

Update 2

Thanks for your comments! I see the expressions like "get your ... in" and "get your ... over" can be used to reproduce the required meaning.

  • 7
    Whether you’re trying to be cool or not, barge in usually implies that the entry is unwelcome, so I’d perhaps not use it with someone whose girlfriend has just kicked him out. It signals, “All right, if you absolutely must … but I’d much rather you didn’t”. (Also: a suit is a set of clothing. I think you’re looking for suite, which is a set of rooms in a house, usually a hotel. Unless your friend really did force himself into your clothes, of course, in which case I can certainly understand why you’d wish to signal you’d rather he hadn’t.) – Janus Bahs Jacquet Nov 23 '14 at 19:06
  • Yes, thank you, I meant to say "suite":-))))) Ha-ha-ha! Corrected the question! – ezpresso Nov 23 '14 at 19:22
  • 3
    There's (said with a tone of resignation), "Alright, get your sorry ass inside. You can sleep on the sofa." (This would be said if your friend knocked on your door.) If he called you on the phone it might be, "Alright. Get your sorry ass over here..." – Jim Nov 23 '14 at 21:31
  • 1
    Just as a note, I think you mean "quirky" not "corky." – Chris Sunami Nov 24 '14 at 16:44
  • 1
    @Mitch Pawky is BrE, but it's hardly obscure (as of course chuffed and twee are also not). It's probably less common than chuffed and a bit more common than twee (which at least I don't actually hear used very often), I'd hazard. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Dec 17 '14 at 2:35

The more informal way of saying "Come in" is "Come on in". In my experience, there is a clear distinction in when to use these terms. "Come on in" implies that you know the person who is wanting to come in and that there is some familiarity with them, or you are trying to create an air of familiarity. In a similar way, on the game show "The Price is Right", the host says "Come on down!" not "Come down here" or "Come here".

It may not make sense because there is only one word different, but usage defines meaning. Consider to the difference in "Okay" which means "Yes" and "That's okay" which means "No", at least to Americans.

As others have said "Barge in" could be used, but in addition to meaning "Come in", it would imply that the person was not particularly welcome or had a habit of intruding. However, "Barge on in" would lessen that by adding the meaning that you didn't mind the intrusion.

  • Thank you very much for a really comprehensive answer! Now everything is clear to me. Your kind help is highly appreciated. – ezpresso Nov 26 '14 at 20:53

For your drunk friend, I'd say:

Sure buddy, just stumble right in, if you think you can.

For your friend having domestic problems, I'd say:

Sure buddy, plenty of room! I'll be staying with your EX.

And for a generic, good for all occasions greeting, I'd say:

Sure buddy, just barge right in, why don't ya?


I could imagine someone saying "barge on in" in the situation you describe. It's not a common idiom, but it would be understood. For some reason, "barge in" by itself doesn't sound as apt.

EDIT: I'm taking it as a given that a playfully rude phrase is desired. You wouldn't use this unless you actually wanted to be (humorously) rude.

  • barge generally suggests either forceful or rude entry. So if you said this, it would likely be sarcastic. – Barmar Nov 24 '14 at 21:12
  • 1
    @Barmar I think the desire for a sarcastic response is clearly implied in the OP's request. He wants a playfully rude slang welcome for a close friend. As such, "barge on in" fits the requirements. – Chris Sunami Nov 24 '14 at 21:20
  • Good point, then this definitely fits. – Barmar Nov 24 '14 at 21:21
  • @ChrisSunami, thank you! You've got me absolutely right! Could you please suggest me a few alternative sarcastic expressions, maybe some common slang idioms? – ezpresso Nov 24 '14 at 23:17
  • I can't articulate why, but 'barge in' doesn't work well as an imperative. – Mitch Nov 24 '14 at 23:19

"Barge in" just sounds rude to me as though you want the person to know that they are unwanted but that your friendship will survive this intrusion. I might suggest something such as, "the keys under the mat" or "you know that you are always welcome."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.