More specifically, something with bound pages that inherently has a "front" and a "back", in which you start by looking at the "front" and flipping the pages over to see the back of that page and the front of the next. You know.. like a book. Book-like?

Is there a single word or technical phrase to describe this unambiguously?

  • I can only think of "bound" that you use - or maybe "leaved"...? – Lefty Nov 21 '14 at 23:22
  • 1
    Provide some context for how you are looking to use this word, and you will likely get more help. – Drew Nov 22 '14 at 2:34
  • 1
    What object do you want to define with this word? Do you want to define something with pages? For example, you can consider "paged". There are also terms like flip book, flip cover. So "flip" can be your choice, but it doesn't connote that there are pages. – 0.. Nov 22 '14 at 2:37
  • Sorry, I was thinking in terms of a technical document: The device shall be 5 inches by 7 inches and [open like a book]. – emragins Nov 23 '14 at 23:41

I believe you are looking for "codex".

Wikipedia link

Wiktionary link


Tome, album, manual, anthology, publication, or ledger

As @Drew and @ermanen state, if you can define said object, more answers will follow. It stands as a riddle: What is bound, has a back, front, and pages like a book, but isn't?


The word "folio" might serve your purpose. The definition closely matches what you've described.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.