This question already has an answer here:

2-part question:

(1) Is there a name for this type of construction in English?


"We can't go, can we?"

"I am here, aren't I?"

"We mustn't get ahead of ourselves, must we?"

"You are going, aren't you?"

The basic construction involves making a statement, and then asking the negation. So is there a name for this?

(2) Is this construction unique to English?

marked as duplicate by choster, TimLymington, phenry, Hellion, user66974 Nov 21 '14 at 23:08

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • 1
    This exists in French, too, n'est-ce pas? – Barmar Nov 20 '14 at 16:17

They are "question tags" (BrE) or "tail questions" or "tag questions" (AmE)

Question tags are the short questions that we put on the end of sentences – particularly in spoken English.

If you are interested in the rules (they are very easy to learn) just follow the above link.

And yes, they do exist in several european languages. (French, Spanish, Portuguese, etc)

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.