I am attempting to give a title to something I am writing but having a bit of difficulty finding a fitting verb to proceed the word 'art.' I am centering what I'm writing around this quote: "God's greatest work on earth is man; man's master art is leading men to God." I want my title to be "_____ the Master Art." As you can probably tell, my text deals with those who engage in the master art of leading men. I've thought of several possibilities—engaging, crafting, working, building, perfecting, etc.—but none seems to fit. I would be quite grateful for any suggestions.

In other words, like a painter paints, what verb could be used for "(Master) Art"-ing?

  • 'The architect of' could work
    – stacker
    Nov 19, 2014 at 22:06
  • 1
    This question appears to be off-topic because it is writing advice. Nov 19, 2014 at 22:07
  • 1
    I think the usual term is practice: one practices an art, craft or discipline. Nov 19, 2014 at 22:17
  • 1
    @FumbleFingers: nonsense. This is a word request, and a pretty good one, too.
    – Marthaª
    Nov 19, 2014 at 22:19
  • 1
    Mastering the Master Art or The Art of Mastering To be honest I'm just guessing because I'm not entirely sure what you are asking.
    – Joe Dark
    Nov 19, 2014 at 22:40

1 Answer 1


I'm not sure how well this would work for your title, but I feel like artists create. Other common words are make or do, but those sound a little pedestrian for your work. @StoneyB suggested practice (in a comment on OP) which I think is very good, but if that ain't y'r fancy, here are my 2¢.

The problem is that most arts have specialized verbs; A painter paints, an poet writes, a dancer dances. Given that, I think you'd want to use a verb that you could use with "leading men to God", such as

Engaging in the Master Art

Edit: I see now that you already considered engaging in. Borrowing from other art forms, you could consider perform.

Performing the Master Art

Failing that, I'd Google "perform synonym" and see where that can take you.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.