Well, problem is programming-related, but main problem is a naming, so I guess it's a correct place to ask.

I have various type of devices designed to affect environment conditions. Typical examples would be heater (affects temperature) or sprinkler (affects humidity). It should turn on/off if measured value are above or below specified limit. So I save a sensor to measure conditions and ... to try to affect these conditions.

Can you think of any generic name (...) which would describe this kind of device?

  • 1
    I think you want regulator, or possibly governor. (Or, did you ever wonder where the "C" in "AC" came from?)
    – Dan Bron
    Commented Nov 19, 2014 at 21:41
  • I think regulator or governor would be the part that uses the data from the sensor and determines if it should switch the ... on or off. Maybe worker or actor?
    – Arsen Y.M.
    Commented Nov 19, 2014 at 21:47
  • Regulator and conditioner and very good responses... To be honest, I guess I had some kind of amnesia 15 minutes ago, now I see how trivial is that. Commented Nov 19, 2014 at 21:53
  • 3
    Maybe actuator fits better. The regulator is the component between them, that decides whether to turn it on or off based on the sensor reading.
    – Barmar
    Commented Nov 20, 2014 at 16:35
  • It turns out this is not the place to ask, as is deemed out of scope / not on-topic. I'd recommend stack overflow instead & tag it with naming-conventions.
    – Pikalek
    Commented May 5, 2016 at 16:09

2 Answers 2


How about "climate control"

This phrase is normally used to describe systems that impact the immediate environment, such as air conditioners, heaters, dehumidifiers, and the like.

For example, in automotive design the phrase "climate control system" is used to describe the parts of the vehicle that are involved in heating the interior of the car, cooling the interior of the car, and related.


How about responder, meaning something that responds to a situation? The most familiar modern use is in the phrase first responders meaning the personnel (police, firemen, coast guard) who respond to emergencies like fires, bombs, hurricanes and so forth, but it could be easily applied to this new context.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.