I need a word that will give the illustration of a room "crowded" or "filled" with furniture. I know those words are not correct, so could someone give a more eloquent way of describing the room?

  • 1
    This question is not a duplicate. Crowded implies a large number of people, but this question is specifically asking about furniture. – John Deters Nov 19 '14 at 17:30
  • 3
    My bedroom at grandma's house was crammed with old furniture; everything from broken rocking chairs, 30's stands nightstands, to an old player piano with a busted foot-treadle. – Wayfaring Stranger Nov 19 '14 at 19:08
  • Why would filled or crowded be incorrect? Sure, crowded does suggest people are involved, but at most this hints at personification of the furniture, not an "incorrect" sentence, surely. – calvin Nov 20 '14 at 2:02

Cluttered comes to mind when describing a room that has so many contents that it impairs movement through it. It is most often applied to extra "stuff" over and above the furniture, but a room with too much furniture is also cluttered.

| improve this answer | |

The room was "overcrowded" and "crammed" with furniture.

| improve this answer | |

The word that springs to mind is 'furnished' or perhaps 'over-furnished' if there is too much...

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.