What term, ideally used by linguists, refers to the entire collection of words that a person knows? For example, if someone opened up a dictionary, and created a list of all of the words they know, what term would refer to that list?

  • 10
    There are two very important different types of "personal vocabulary" - Receptive vs. Productive Vocabulary. There's also the concept of "Scrabble vocabulary" (for example, you might know all the 2-letter combinations valid in Scrabble, but have no idea what half of them actually mean). – FumbleFingers Nov 19 '14 at 14:11
  • @FumbleFingers My late father had just such a Scrabble Vocabulary. The one item of his possessions that was first to go to the charity shop was his dreadful 'Scrabble Word Book'. – WS2 Nov 19 '14 at 14:25
  • @WS2: I still have four paper copies of OSW (1st - 4th Edition). Plus I'm fairly unique in that I "legitimately" have an electronic copy of OSW1. I used it when writing a crossword generator for a freelance editor/publisher (who was owed a favour by the copyright holder Chambers), and nobody ever told me I couldn't keep a copy afterwards. – FumbleFingers Nov 19 '14 at 14:39
  • I am not an English, but we call it word-stock. How fluently you speak English depends on your word-stock – MAKZ Nov 19 '14 at 19:47
  • 1
    Receptive vs productive vocabulary is a useful distinction. However the dividing line is not always so clear. It may be useful to represent knowledge of a particular word along a continuum of increasing degrees of familiarity. We each have a large "grey zone" of words that we don't feel 100% confident in using but that we may be with repeated encounters. – Rusty Tuba Nov 19 '14 at 20:58

You mean one's (personal) vocabulary?

Merriam-Webster says:

all of the words known and used by a person

| improve this answer | |
  • Is there any confirmation that this is the term used by linguistics? – Village Nov 20 '14 at 14:49
  • 3
    Is an article from oxford journals under the heading of applied linguistics good enough? Note that strictly speaking, you asked about the words a person knows, not the words a person uses. Your question refers to passive vocabulary, but that is two words, and the rules for SWRs are strict. – oerkelens Nov 20 '14 at 14:56
  • Yes, that is sufficient. – Village Nov 20 '14 at 14:57

I would use the word lexicon.

noun the vocabulary of a person, language, or branch of knowledge.

Quoted from Oxford Dictionaries Online.

| improve this answer | |
  • 2
    Or more specifically, a mental lexicon. – curiousdannii Nov 19 '14 at 14:00
  • there is an academic journal that is called The Mental Lexicon. – user31341 Nov 19 '14 at 14:24
  • This is the word that immediately came to mind, but vocabulary would seem to be just as correct. – delliottg Nov 19 '14 at 20:01
  • i like this answer just as much as vocabulary, but i have to recommend vocabulary because you are FAR more likely to be understood. – user428517 Nov 19 '14 at 22:56

There is also a colloquial word for this: wordrobe. It is like a wardrobe of words.

a person's vocabulary

She reads dictionaries to build up her wordrobe.


| improve this answer | |
  • 2
    sounds like something you'd wear rather than fill or reference. – Jodrell Nov 21 '14 at 11:26

Also word-hoard ( from TFD) :

  • (n.) the sum of words one uses or understands; a vocabulary.

  • a person's vocabulary.

| improve this answer | |

Vocabulary, as already posted by @oerkelens, is the stock of words used by or known to a particular person.

  • "He has a somewhat limited vocabulary."
  • "Reading will certainly help you expand your vocabulary."
  • "My wife has a wide vocabulary."
| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    I guess 'vocabulary' is already in the list of the terms suggested!! – user66974 Nov 19 '14 at 14:30
  • @oerkelens' answer, complete with MW link, was posted as much as half an hour before this one. And you must reference quotes in plain text, not merely via a link. – Andrew Leach Nov 20 '14 at 7:51
  • @AndrewLeach First let me apologize for posting an answer someone had already posted. I've edited and added the credit. As for "And you must reference quotes in plain text", I'm not sure I understand that. Do you mean: "He has a somewhat limited vocabulary". merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vocabulary ? or simply "He has a somewhat limited vocabulary." Merriam Webster(in red, with link)? or another way? – Centaurus Nov 21 '14 at 15:39
  • He has a somewhat limited [vocabulary](http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vocabulary) with "[Merriam-Webster]" as plain text will do. Meta post – Andrew Leach Nov 21 '14 at 15:42
  • @AndrewLeach With a bluish shade on the background? I'm afraid I don't know how to do that. – Centaurus Nov 21 '14 at 15:46

idiolect: the variety or form of a language used by an individual http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/idiolect?s=t

| improve this answer | |
  • 4
    This is much wider than just the vocab though, as it includes the person's grammar. – curiousdannii Nov 20 '14 at 3:11

Another interesting word is schema, although that encompasses more than just the words which one knows.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    Can you provide a definition and source? Looking through wiktionary and reference.com I don't see anything about words. – MrLore Nov 19 '14 at 18:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.