What is the equivalent word for a person who doesn't want to communicate to share any of his/her secrets, life's stories or personal information?

Need some words related to the above described description...

5 Answers 5


This person would be called private.

"Private" is used to describe not only information, but also people who don't share personal information freely.

There are a variety of expressions to describe someone who does not wish to disclose other types of information, such as "secretive," "tight-lipped," and "discreet." However, "private" seems the best for the situation you've described.

Two other possible candidates are unforthcoming and guarded.

From Oxford Dictionaries online:


1.3 (Of a person) choosing not to reveal their thoughts and feelings to others: he was a very private man


1 (Of a person) not willing to divulge information: the sergeant seemed unforthcoming, so he enquired at the gate


Cautious and having possible reservations: he has given a guarded welcome to the idea

  • 1
    Thank you for your answer... How about reticent? What does it meant and will it suit my description?
    – cuSK
    Commented Nov 17, 2014 at 21:25
  • Yes, "reticent" is a good word as well. We could certainly add that to the list, although I feel it's used a bit more generally to describe a person who is typically quiet.
    – Rusty Tuba
    Commented Nov 17, 2014 at 21:27
  • Oh my..! I think I've made my actual question wrong. I want to know person who doesn't want to communicate his feelings and thoughts... Can you say some other words with this meaning? Please.
    – cuSK
    Commented Nov 17, 2014 at 21:30
  • Please don't remove/erase the current answer... It's a vocabulary of words I've been looking for a long time...
    – cuSK
    Commented Nov 17, 2014 at 21:32
  • 2
    I think "private" still applies, as per the definition. It doesn't show a general disinclination to speaking or conversing, as some of the adjectives indicating shyness do, but rather a disinclination to share personal feelings and information.
    – Rusty Tuba
    Commented Nov 17, 2014 at 21:40

We often call such a person a very private person.

One very private person was Josephine Tey.

  • I'm looking for a single word...
    – cuSK
    Commented Nov 17, 2014 at 21:19

That person might be closed or guarded.

  • Welcome to EL&U. Your answer would be improved if you could explain why those terms are appropriate, for example, by excerpting dictionary definitions. I encourage you to review the help center for guidance on submitting good answers.
    – choster
    Commented Nov 18, 2014 at 4:24

We might call this person reserved:

formal or self-restrained in manner and relationship; avoiding familiarity or intimacy with others: a quiet, reserved man.


An adjective is secretive ( person):

  • Having or marked by an inclination to secrecy; not open, forthright, or frank.

also , according to context, an introvert :

  • a shy person; a person concerned primarily with inner thoughts and feelings rather than with the physical or social environment.
  • I'd never use introvert for this. That's sure only to offend introverts. Commented Nov 17, 2014 at 22:56
  • 2
    @curiousdannii No, it doesn't, believe me.
    – Andrew Leach
    Commented Nov 17, 2014 at 23:28
  • @AndrewLeach well it might not offend everyone, but I do get really annoyed when people misunderstand what introversion is. It has absolutely nothing to do with shyness, and shyness has absolutely nothing to do with being guarded! Commented Nov 17, 2014 at 23:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.