Apparently scaffolding is always a substantive while scaffold can be used both as substantive and as verb (to scaffold).

I'm interested in the substantive meaning of both words.

Google image searching yields pretty much the same results. Are there any differences in meaning or usage?

  • 2
    Scaffold is an object, a part of whole, of a system called scaffolding. That's the usual usage.
    – Kris
    Commented Nov 14, 2014 at 9:31
  • @Kris, agreed. In my experience, scaffold is a count noun and scaffolding a mass noun. You could say "a scaffold" but you could not say "a scaffolding".
    – Dan Bron
    Commented Nov 14, 2014 at 11:46
  • If this en.wiktionary.org/wiki/scaffold answers the OP's question, then it's GR.
    – Kris
    Commented Nov 14, 2014 at 12:29
  • @Kris: Doesn't your link state the opposite? "scaffold (plural scaffolds) A structure made of scaffolding, [...]" Commented Nov 14, 2014 at 13:40
  • @RomanReiner Scaffolding is also the material used to build a scaffold.
    – Kris
    Commented Nov 15, 2014 at 6:14

2 Answers 2


This answer only deals with American English. We have another answer giving the British definitions.

In their first definitions of each word, Merriam-Webster defines a scaffold as the platform that workers stand on (e.g., when working on tall buildings), and scaffolding as the structure that supports it.

They have a second definition saying that scaffold can also be used for the supporting structure, but they don't say that scaffolding can be used for the platform.

I've certainly heard both scaffolding and scaffold for the supporting structure. And scaffolding for the actual platform feels wrong to me, while scaffold doesn't.


In my experience, "scaffold" refers only to a gibbet used to hang people. For all other senses I would use "scaffolding" (or, colloquially, "scaff").

  • ODO: "2 A structure made using scaffolding. When setting a plank between ladders as a scaffold, be sure it extends a foot on each side ... " oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/scaffold See also: oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/…
    – Kris
    Commented Nov 14, 2014 at 12:27
  • Agreed with Colin Fine. I've only encountered 'scaffold' as a noun when referring specifically to gibbets. Commented Nov 14, 2014 at 14:00
  • 2
    This must be a US/UK difference, because "scaffold" is a perfectly acceptable term for "scaffolding" in the US, and I don't think we ever use "scaff". Commented Nov 15, 2014 at 13:30
  • My experience may be atypical, because I have worked in theatres for many years, and we often use "scaff" for building sets.
    – Colin Fine
    Commented Nov 15, 2014 at 15:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.