I have been told that there is a word, probably starting with B, coined in French, probably by Louis Pasteur, though used in English, which has the following meaning:

The successful blending of closed, lab based science with experience and knowledge of the limitations in enacting that same science in the field

What is the word?


Are you thinking of bricolage?


In the practical arts and the fine arts, bricolage (French for "tinkering") is the construction or creation of a work from a diverse range of things that happen to be available, or a work created by such a process.

The term bricolage has also been used in many other fields, including critical theory, education, computer software, and business.

  • 3
    not a bad guess, shame it was downvoted. (The only french B words that come to mind for me are "Bourgogne" and "Bourdeaux" :O ) – Fattie Nov 6 '14 at 13:31
  • Quite often the downvote is a petty attack on the commentor, not on the comment. – Roaring Fish Nov 6 '14 at 13:37
  • That's the one! – DaveRGP Nov 6 '14 at 13:57
  • 1
    No proof yet on Pasteur, but definitely a French :) – DaveRGP Nov 6 '14 at 14:42
  • 2
    @DaveRGP “Bricolage” seems to fit but be aware that the meaning is not nearly as specific in French (it can mean “tinkering”, “DIY” but also “bad work” or “quick fix”) and the word certainly wasn't coined to mean “mixing lab science with field work”. – Gala Nov 6 '14 at 20:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.