What is the "gratitude" at the end of a letter or post called in English?

For example:

Hi everyone,      <--- salutation

bla bla bla       <--- body

Thanks in advance <--- what is that called?
  • So tempted to add the correct tag, but I restrained myself.
    – Mari-Lou A
    Commented Nov 2, 2014 at 18:49
  • 3
    It's called a "valediction". I know this question is a dupe, but can't find the original from my phone right now.
    – Dan Bron
    Commented Nov 2, 2014 at 19:17

1 Answer 1


Thank you all!

As @Dan_Bron and @Mari-Lou_A suggested - the answer is valediction.

Original question can be found here

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.