Based on Wikipedia article, in linguistics, declension is the inflection of nouns, pronouns, adjectives, and articles to indicate number (at least singular and plural), case (nominative or subjective, genitive or possessive, etc.), and gender.

Declension is a noun. What is a proper verb to say "I want to say different words that appeared from the word day - days, daily etc". How to say it in one word in English?

closed as off-topic by tchrist, Robusto, Chenmunka, Hellion, Mari-Lou A Nov 1 '14 at 15:25

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions that can be answered using commonly-available references are off-topic. A list of these references can be found here: List of general references" – tchrist, Robusto, Chenmunka, Hellion, Mari-Lou A
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 4
    To decline: (grammar) to state or list the inflections of (a noun, adjective, or pronoun), or (of a noun, adjective, or pronoun) to be inflected for number, case, or gender Compare conjugate (sense 1) [Collins] – choster Oct 30 '14 at 22:07
  • A verb approaches a noun at a bar. "Hey baby, wanna come back to my place and conjugate?" "I decline." – imallett Oct 31 '14 at 2:35

The verb corresponding to declension is decline. However, your example of day - daily is not an example of declension. It is an example of word formation (with the adverbial suffix -ly). Declension adds/changes inflections, not suffixes.

And here's a little on-topic joke I came across recently:

A verb walks up to a noun in a bar:

-- Hey, babe, wanna go back to my place and conjugate?

-- I decline.

  • Inflections are nearly always affixes, so I don't get the point you're trying to make. – curiousdannii Oct 31 '14 at 2:35
  • His point is that many inflections are affixes, but not all affixes are inflections. Daily's -ly happens to be an affix that is not an inflection. – trysis Oct 31 '14 at 2:57

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.