Is there a word/adjective (single word) that describes the person who likes consiously or uncousiously to stereotype people? I was thinking that there might be a word such as stereotypist, but such a word does not exist. The word I'm expecting should describe the type of people who are very interested in general backgrounds to prejudge. Of course I eliminate racist as the word I'm looking for includes people who prejudge even based on the gender. The kind of person who asks about age, religion, gender, race or political view before he makes a decision in which corner in his circle will he locate you, no matter how differet/unique you are.

  • 4
    A stereotypist is someone who presses keys with both hands.
    – user867
    Commented Oct 29, 2014 at 1:36
  • 4
    I think you are trying to stereotype somebody.
    – user63230
    Commented Oct 29, 2014 at 1:54
  • 1
    @andy256 I was about to say I'm afraid I belong to this kind of people by asking such a question :)
    – Hawk
    Commented Oct 29, 2014 at 1:59
  • 1
    @Hawk This description could easily be applied to every human that's ever lived. We all categorize everything we encounter. No one is so special that they are uncategorizable.
    – whitewings
    Commented Jun 30, 2015 at 19:14
  • 1
    why not judgemental? Commented Sep 15, 2015 at 16:55

3 Answers 3


Bigot or prejudiced come to mind. Bigot is a much more negative term, but even prejudiced has mostly negative connotations.


This person is what I would call intolerant. Intolerant people are generally exclusive of others instead of inclusive.


Presumptuous or pretentious are two possible words to describe with.

  • Neither work. Presumptuous is too general while pretentious has a completely unrelated meaning. Commented Apr 21, 2015 at 22:24
  • When one is pretentious with their presumptions they can be stereotypical. This may be a stereotype.
    – PCARR
    Commented Apr 21, 2015 at 22:32
  • Presumptuous is a good answer, because it is a personality trait of people who make lazy, false assumptions.
    – yzernik
    Commented Nov 19, 2015 at 9:20

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.