You know those re-sealable plastic bags, where the seal is one plastic strip that you squeeze between two other, parallel plastic strips on the other surface? Like on a Ziploc™ bag, only without the zip?

Is there a common word or phrase used to describe those seals?

4 Answers 4


The US Transportation Security Administration (TSA) officially refers to it as a zip-top bag. I have never heard or read this usage elsewhere, and I imagine it was probably constructed to avoid the genericized trademark Ziploc.

In the southeastern US, a resealable plastic bag is usually called a ziplock bag, regardless of whether it has a zipper or not. This is likely true for elsewhere around the US but I can't vouch for that.

Oddly enough, this Web site features macro-images of the bags and several identifying buzzwords, including slider seal, closures, channel, and double zipper seal.

  • Thanks! I think this is the most complete answer, and I enjoyed the odd microscope website :) Apr 14, 2011 at 8:35
  • In the southeastern US, they don't seem to understand what a trademark is. Every soda is a Coke there too. Jun 3, 2020 at 15:54

These are usually called "Press Seal" or "Press-Seal" or "Press-N-Seal" or "Press 'n' Seal" bags. Google "press seal" and look at all the references.


Resealable seems to be the British English word and the words Robusto said are American English. Supermarkets say resealable (if anything), such as Tesco's bags.


i just had a search on ebay for zip lock bags and it seems the UK equivalent and proper nomenclature is 'GRIP SEAL BAGS' for the exact type of seal you're talking about.

  • Please add some support to your answer. This site tries to compile well-researched answers. Your answer will probably get deleted if you don't. Please take the tour
    – Phil Sweet
    Jun 22, 2016 at 1:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.