Grandma left me her ring as a [...]

I thought of the word souvenir but I think it's more commonly used to refer to something that you buy in a gift shop.

  • 1
    How about keepsake? – Peter Shor Oct 19 '14 at 14:53

A good word is heirloom.

There are others, but this should be sufficient.


If you need a term that implies a formal act of leaving something by will , bequest may fit: ( from TFD)

  • (law) a gift of personal property by will

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.