In the HAM radio community the term "appliance operator" is used to describe people who use radio equipment but don't understand how the equipment works. In IT these people are disparagingly called Lusers. http://www.eham.net/articles/11116 Is there a term for this in other broader contexts? In engineering what could you call a technical person without the underlying theoretical/technical understanding.

  • I don't think there's a common term across all disciplines. Each community has their own slang.
    – Barmar
    Commented Oct 19, 2014 at 9:37
  • That (non-)technical person is in Business Development. Commented Jan 16, 2015 at 15:56

2 Answers 2


The link you provide contrasts the A.O. with the average "Real Ham". They explain he might be using Ham for work, just as a tool. That's pretty much a user - a person that uses - as opposed to an enthusiast. Whereas Luser is internet slang and derogatory, the A.O. is simply not fascinated by the hobby and is called out for that very purpose.


'(Equipment) Operator' is the best thing I can think of.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.