With regard to a hollow object (such as a room), is there a single word that captures the collective import of the terms 'volume', 'shape' and 'size'?

(particularly in the fields of mathematics or architecture, preferably the latter!)

closed as unclear what you're asking by curiousdannii, Spagirl, Mitch, Hot Licks, jimm101 Feb 26 at 16:36

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • What about dimensions? – Manish Giri Oct 17 '14 at 12:44
  • 1
    Dimensions refers to size alone, not shape. – Robusto Oct 17 '14 at 12:45
  • Hi, and thanks for visiting EL&U. The single-word-requests tag is for questions seeking a single word that fits a meaning. To ensure that your question is not closed as off-topic, please be specific about the intended use of the word. YOU MUST INCLUDE A SAMPLE SENTENCE demonstrating how the word would be used. Click on "Info" or "View Tag" and "Learn more ..." for more information. – Spagirl Feb 26 at 13:30

In mathematics, a solid is what perfectly describes what you're talking about. Particularly in mathematics, 'hollow' is the opposite of 'solid'.

This is the definition of solid by Google dictionary:

GEOMETRY - a body or geometric figure having three dimensions.

This one is by Oxford

Not hollow, having three dimensions.


I've often heard people speak of the geometry of an object. Cambridge Dictionary lists:

the geometry of sth: the way the parts of a particular object fit together


I think measures comes close to what you are looking for:

  • Dimensions, quantity, or capacity as ascertained by comparison with a standard.

'Configuration' is a possibility.


"Dimensions" and "measurements" have already been mentioned. Some other words that might encompass all of the parameters listed in your question are (predefined)"specification(s)" or (spatial) "description(s)". Another general word for the act of measuring any/all parameters is "mensuration(s)".




Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.