Just for personal reasons I would like to know what to call the disposable paper wrappers for drinking straws. If there is no name can I name it a paper? Paper wrapper?

  • Maybe strapper? – bib Oct 14 '14 at 23:40
  • 2
    Strawphylactic. Or just condom. – Dan Bron Oct 14 '14 at 23:43
  • We've always just called it a "straw paper" – Jim Oct 15 '14 at 0:56
  • I've heard it called a "straw wrapper". – Kristina Lopez Oct 15 '14 at 0:59
  • If you really appreciate how great straws are, you could call it "gift wrap". – fixer1234 Apr 18 '17 at 7:10

As far as I can tell, there is no special term, in industry or otherwise, for the protective covering of an individually wrapped drinking straw.

It could be called a sleeve, in Macmillan's second sense, especially if made of paper:

  1. a paper or plastic cover that protects something such as a record or a book

I think most people, however, would simply refer to it as the wrapper or (wrapping).

a piece of paper, plastic etc that is wrapped around something that you buy

No one I know would refer to it as a paper, but I would expect people who are familiar with such straws to understand if you referred to the material— I peeled the paper from the straw or I removed the straw from its shrink wrap.

  • Yes, it's a sleeve. – Erik Kowal Oct 15 '14 at 4:26
  • 3
    No, it's a wrapper because it is completely sealed. A sleeve normally remains open. – fixer1234 Apr 18 '17 at 7:06
  • Google images supports the term wrapper. Here's a link for your convenience. – Lawrence Jun 5 '17 at 14:18

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.