I once saw this American film where two agents were investigating a crime. Unfortunately I can't recall the name of the film, so I'm not able to go back to the source. The two agents did not want to approach a suspect, or they were being very careful about it to ensure that the suspect would open up to them and not withhold information. It might have been a witness, I'm not sure. The two were upset over why they had to be so gentle with this person. They used a specific word for this behavior that I haven't heard before.

It was something along the line "why are we *ing this person"? As to say, why are we taking such measures not to upset this person.

What word could you possibly use in this sense?


I haven't seen the film but the word that immediately sprang to mind was

'Why are we mollycoddling this person?'

mollycoddle verb : to treat (someone) with more kindness and attention than is appropriate : to >treat (someone) too nicely or gently


  • 2
    Also coddle.. – ermanen Oct 14 '14 at 17:51
  • Indulge-give free rein to – Misti Oct 14 '14 at 19:09
  • I just had a Eureka moment so to speak. From the deepe archives of my memory, I somehow managed to recollect the word petting. "Why are we petting this person?" Petting a person, like an animal. Would that be appropriate? I certainly think so, assuming the worst about this person. (Innocent until proven guilty, of course. But this was just a work of fiction.) I will sleep on it, and hope to recollect the title of the film. But in a broader, more general sense, I feel that mollycoddle is more appropriate. For that reason, I will accept this answer. – Samir Oct 14 '14 at 19:52
  • I've never heard of 'petting' used in this sense. 'Mollycoddle' is very good. You could also say 'Why are we pussyfooting around this person?' – Mynamite Oct 14 '14 at 19:54
  • Pussyfooting! Haha! "Why are we pussyfooting this person?" Would that be too inappropriate? In this sense, you could also use tiptoeing. "Why are we tiptoeing around this person?" – Samir Oct 14 '14 at 20:13

How about the term "kid-gloving"? Or, as is is more often seen, to "handle with kid gloves".

  • For a long time, I thought "kid gloves" were gloves worn by children. Actually, they're gloves made from young goats, also known as "kids". – barrycarter Oct 14 '14 at 19:54
  • Haha! I like "kid-gloving" very much! That's a creative way of saying "handle with kid gloves". Nice one! I have seen this too in American TV shows. (I listen and read subtitles sometimes to learn a new word or two.) – Samir Oct 14 '14 at 20:03

There are quite a few words for this. The most often used words are:

1) Pampering

2) Mollycoding

Both mean the same. Although pampering is usually used in a good context, where as mollycoding in a bad one. Hope this helps.

  • Do you mean "mollycoddling"? I never heard of mollycoding. – Kristina Lopez Oct 14 '14 at 18:42
  • 3
    @KristinaLopez That's when you treat a fish very nicely ;) Or when someone named Molly writes a computer program. – barrycarter Oct 14 '14 at 19:53
  • It is probably misspell. – Samir Oct 14 '14 at 19:54
  • 1
    I would opt for mollycoddling here. I don't like the word pampers; I have a too strong association with Pampers, the brand name for diapers. – Samir Oct 14 '14 at 19:59

Why are we protecting this person? It touches on the ironic sense of 'protect', as in a protection racket.

  • This answer could be improved by adding information about why you believe the word "protecting" answers the question. – Marthaª Oct 15 '14 at 2:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.