What is a word for a person with more expertise (in certain field) than an intermediate but less so than an expert?


Depending on the field (and potentially how close to intermediate/expert you want to be), a variety of words are viable:

  • Advanced
  • Seasoned
  • Experienced


Exactly what qualifies you to be a journeyman varies from profession to profession (if it is even used within a given profession).

It generally means someone who has completed all their training and is considered proficient without having yet proven their mastery.


Skilled, proficient http://www.synonyms.net/synonym/expert

However I have never seen the need.

novice/beginner, intermediate, expert

are the terms normally used


In many companies, the HR dept. have a rating scale along the line of the following:

Novice => Intermediate => Senior => Expert


In Belgium you often see medior, which is between junior and senior.
It's redundant; if you're neither a junior X nor a senior X, then you're just an X.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.