I wonder if his [...] has something to do with his craziness.

The only word I could think of was attire. But I think attire only refers to what the person is wearing now; not to the way he or she usually dresses.

  • 3
    I'd probably use wardrobe there. It refers to the clothing in his current rotation. – Robusto Oct 6 '14 at 2:17
  • 1
    I usually use fashion, since it's specifically for, well, fashion style. – Raestloz Oct 6 '14 at 2:31
  • 2
    Way of dressing is fine, as are wardrobe and attire (the statement can refer to his attire generally; it does not necessarily mean what he is wearing now). – Drew Oct 6 '14 at 4:14
  • @Raestloz Fashion is not the same as style :-) – andy256 Oct 6 '14 at 6:01
  • @andy256 exactly. Fashion is specifically for... uh, well, fashion: the way of dressing, while style is much more general – Raestloz Oct 6 '14 at 6:24


... a form of appearance, design, ... elegance or refinement of manners, dress, etc.

While usually positive, it can also be applied in a negative sense, as in

I don't like his style. He looks like a banana.

Another phrase would be dress sense.


Look can refer to a fashionable or specific way of dressing :

  • (Clothing & Fashion) style; fashion: the new look for summer, his new look is quite unusual.

  • A distinctive, unified manner of dress or fashion: the preferred look for this fall.

Source: TFD


aesthetic could be used here.

Example: Her particular aesthetic is more suited to the Goth scene. Or you could use the word aesthetic to further modify fashion, as in "fashion aesthetic."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.