I wanted to tell a friend that I've discovered a new social outlet, but then I realized it was also an inlet. I was wondering if there's a word or phrase that combines those two meanings.

Something like pipeline perhaps? But social pipeline doesn't sound right.

  • 1
    Social network sounds like the most obvious answer to me. Networks are where information flows in and out, an inlet as well as an outlet. – Dispenser Oct 2 '14 at 16:00
  • 2
    In computer hardware terms they are called 'ports'. – WS2 Oct 2 '14 at 17:32
  • In high level software architecture, e.g. Spring framework, they are called channels. – Blessed Geek Oct 2 '14 at 20:05

Perhaps channel. The term has multiple meanings, several of which align with your concept. For example, Merriam-Webster offers, among others

  • a means of communication or expression: as (1) : a path along which information (as data or music) in the form of an electrical signal passes (2) plural : a fixed or official course of communication: went through established military channels with his grievances
  • a way, course, or direction of thought or action: new channels of exploration

The phrase social channel might work.

  • Saying "perhaps" would be an understatement. Channel is exactly the word used both in software engineering and social media. A simplex channel = one-way channel, either input/inlet or output/outlet. A duplex channel is a channel that allows inlet as well as outlet. A half-duplex channel is a channel that can function both ways, but only one way at a time, and has to be switched back and forth between inlet and outlet. – Blessed Geek Oct 2 '14 at 20:02
  • @BlessedGeek The perhaps is meant to indicate that I do not know the exact intent/point of view of the OP. – bib Oct 2 '14 at 20:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.