Here's an example:

picture of bridge with a semicircular tower; the top of the tower has the tooth-like parts in question

It's not a tower but the structure is exactly the same. I'm referring to the four 'tooth-like' juttings on top of the tower structure attached on the left of that bridge. What do you call them (I'm looking for a common word)?

  • @Mari-Lou A Sorry. Fixed.
    – janoChen
    Sep 30 '14 at 9:44
  • 2
    They could be merlons. Merlons need not be at the top of a tower, though. They occur through the "parapet," called the crenellation, in other places. They need not be square but can be triangular, and of other shapes. They may have "peepholes" in them as well!
    – Kris
    Sep 30 '14 at 9:51
  • it's TOTALLY UNCLEAR what you are asking about.
    – Fattie
    Sep 30 '14 at 12:47
  • 1
    This question looks identical to this one: english.stackexchange.com/questions/38080/name-of-castle-part/…
    – T.E.D.
    Sep 30 '14 at 13:33
  • 1
    You should unaccept @phoog's answer. It is technically speaking "incorrect" although not far off.
    – Mari-Lou A
    Oct 1 '14 at 9:37

These are crenellations. See http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/crenellation.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.