I remember there was a specific adjective for this but I forgot the word. I've tried throwing "brainless", "routine" etc. into an online thesaurus but nothing's leading me back to the word anymore. It's so frustrating!

Anyone has a suggestion?


  • 1
    Busywork is a common noun for it. Can't think of an adjective, unless it's useless. – John Lawler Sep 24 '14 at 19:19

Perhaps "grunt", such as in the phrase grunt work.

One of the definitions applicable for grunt:

one who does routine unglamorous work —often used attributively (grunt work)


rote ~ a habitual or mechanical routine or procedure


you can usually call them Mundane tasks.

  • Why? – choster Sep 24 '14 at 23:50
  • @choster, I don't understand the complaint. The answer to why is because that's what the word means. It's not like explaining a grammatical concept. – Henry74 Sep 25 '14 at 1:16
  • @Henry74 If the answer to why is because that's what the word means, the answer should explain that and provide a definition, with a suitable reference (e.g. a link to an online dictionary). The link goes to guidelines for writing good answers. – choster Sep 25 '14 at 14:19

From gaming, grindy. Back to the grind!


Trivial. Or tedious, as in mindless tedium.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.