I remember there was a specific adjective for this but I forgot the word. I've tried throwing "brainless", "routine" etc. into an online thesaurus but nothing's leading me back to the word anymore. It's so frustrating!

Anyone has a suggestion?


  • 1
    Busywork is a common noun for it. Can't think of an adjective, unless it's useless. Sep 24, 2014 at 19:19

5 Answers 5


Perhaps "grunt", such as in the phrase grunt work.

One of the definitions applicable for grunt:

one who does routine unglamorous work —often used attributively (grunt work)


rote ~ a habitual or mechanical routine or procedure


you can usually call them Mundane tasks.

  • Why?
    – choster
    Sep 24, 2014 at 23:50
  • @choster, I don't understand the complaint. The answer to why is because that's what the word means. It's not like explaining a grammatical concept.
    – Henry74
    Sep 25, 2014 at 1:16
  • @Henry74 If the answer to why is because that's what the word means, the answer should explain that and provide a definition, with a suitable reference (e.g. a link to an online dictionary). The link goes to guidelines for writing good answers.
    – choster
    Sep 25, 2014 at 14:19

From gaming, grindy. Back to the grind!


Trivial. Or tedious, as in mindless tedium.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.