In an essay I've written, I come to realize something. Someone else understands that I've just realized this something.

The engendered sense of achievement and understanding . . .

In this context, "understanding" can refer to both my understanding of the concept in question, and the mutual understanding or connection, so to speak, between myself and someone else.

How can I disambiguate this sentence? I'm trying to refer to the mutual understanding or connection between myself and someone else. I want to write "mutual understanding" in place of "understanding," but I used the phrase in this preceding sentence.

  • 1
    Very few words mean anything strictly.
    – Fattie
    Sep 23, 2014 at 6:13
  • perhaps "shared understanding". Just BTW: I would be careful about using "engendered" it is typically superfluous.
    – Fattie
    Sep 23, 2014 at 6:15

2 Answers 2


'tacit'--expressed or understood without being directly stated (Merriam-Webster.com). e.g.,'There was a tacit understanding that the marriage was doomed';'they had a tacit agreement that nothing would be done about it without direct orders.'


I think correspondence can suggest the concept you referring to:

  • The act, fact, or state of agreeing or conforming.

Source: www.thefreedictionary.com

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy