At some point I came across a term for an adjective that has been formed out of a proper noun. It happens often in the music, art and literary world, i.e. "Sufjanian" or "Dylan-esque." Other common usages are "Seusical" (referring to Dr. Seuss), "Steinbeckian" and "Kerouacian." What is that type of word called? I am almost positive it has a name. It's incredible to me as these terms are created when someone contributes something so unique and original to the world that they've ushered in a new paradigm against which their successors and peers are evaluated. I can't for the life of me remember what this is called.

  • 1
    -ian, (TFD: relating to, belonging to, or resembling) -esque (Wikctionary: in the style or manner of) etc., are suffixes to form adjectives. See thefreedictionary.com/-ian & en.wiktionary.org/wiki/-esque – Kris Sep 16 '14 at 5:50
  • 1
    Orwellian, Kunian, Freudian... good question. – user36720 Sep 16 '14 at 7:13
  • 2
    A special case of eponyms? Is there a more specific word than eponym? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eponym – skymningen Sep 16 '14 at 8:06
  • 1
    I guess it could be called eponymous adjective. – Barmar Sep 16 '14 at 15:00
  • Thank you all for weighing in! I think "eponymous adjective" is accurate, but it's not the term I'm after. – Steve S. Sep 16 '14 at 16:24

That is an eponymous adjective

  • +1, Named after something else or deriving from an existing name or word: "Programs such as He-Man and Masters of the Universe ... were all created with the explicit purpose of selling the eponymous toys to children – Manish Jan 26 '15 at 20:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.