I know that there is a noun for cancer as an area of medicine: oncology. But is there a word for things under the umbrella of the art and science of cancer treatment?

I was thinking of something other than "cancer therapy." Something like "oncologics", although that's not actually a word.


I'd go with "oncotherapy":


It's more focused on the actual treatment than "oncology".

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    I agree. Oncology is too broad; it covers much more than treatment and is more likely interpreted as cancer research than treatment. – Kit Z. Fox Sep 11 '14 at 0:51
  • Logically is sounds right, but if limited to tumors, it does not address systemic cancers, such as leukemia. – bib Sep 11 '14 at 1:14
  • 1
    @medica then a link to a broader definition would be preferable. No sure why you think I resent correction. I don't have enough experience being wrong to have developed an attitude about it. – bib Sep 11 '14 at 11:38
  • @medica I have no idea if it covers nontumorous cancers. That is why I said if limited .... If it covers a wide range of cancers, great, it's a good fit. But I think a better definition of oncotherapy in the answer should reflect that since the linked definition appears to be limited to tumors – bib Sep 13 '14 at 19:55
  • @medica Your reference in your comment is great. It's the reference in the answer that I have a problem with. – bib Sep 15 '14 at 13:06

While it does not seem to cover all therapies that may be utilized, there is oncolysis

The lysis (breakdown) of cancer cells. This can be caused by chemical or physical means (for example, strong detergents or high-energy sound waves) or by infection with a strain of virus that can lyse cells. [National Cancer Institute Dictionary of Cancer Terms]

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.