I call chairs like this

A foldable chair, upholstered in blue synthetic material with a black border. It has a cup holder made from black netting embedded in the right arm.

"canvas chairs".

But I'm not sure if this is the proper name.

Are there other names for this type of chair in America, Britain, and other English-speaking countries?

  • 1
    I might call it a "camping chair" or a "camp chair" or a "collapsible camp chair" rei.com/c/camping-chairs
    – Jim
    Sep 8, 2014 at 14:42
  • just on a related note, there's a "director's chair" which, fortunately, has a clear definition (just google images).
    – Fattie
    Sep 8, 2014 at 14:56
  • further to be clear, Zack, I WOULD NOT call this a "canvas chair". "canvas chair" has a pretty clear meaning, just google image it. Canvas chairs come in two types, the square ones, or the "sunbathing" lay down ones. (Also as a minor issue, the "camping chair" you refer to are not at all made of canvas.)
    – Fattie
    Sep 8, 2014 at 14:58

3 Answers 3


Walmart seems to list a similar chair as Camping chair, or more specifically, Camping Arm Chair.

This picture, taken from the source linked above, looks very much the same as the one in your description:

A foldable chair, upholstered in red synthetic material with a black border. It has a cup holder made from black netting embedded in the right arm.

Searching for Quad chair, again on Walmart, gives an almost similar looking chair. Picture below taken from the Walmart site linked here:

(from the walmart description) Coleman Oversized Quad Chair with Cooler Pouch:     *Padded seat and back. *Soft cooler pouch (3" x 8" x 8") holds 2 - 4 cans and 1 Coleman Chiller (small). *Mesh cup holder. *Program holder (13" x 9") *Adjustable arm height. *Oversize dimensions: 37"W x 24"D x 40.5"H. *Brown


While probably more commonly known as a camping chair, it's also known as a "bag chair", as shown in the product description on Swimoutlet.com:

Wet products bag chair

It differentiates from a director's chair in that a director's chair is foldable but not collapsible to the point that it can fit in a tube-shaped bag.

"Bag chair" is also sometimes used to categorize bean bag chairs which are not collapsible and are filled with foam "beads":

picture from www.johnstonefitness.com of a woman lounging in a large, dark teal beanbag


Another popular term for such chairs is slingback chairs. The picture below, from scenicmesa.com, is named (in part) sling-back-chair...jpg on that site. Note, as seen via A chair made from metal poles bound by wires, upholsters in what looks like leather, slingback chairs encompasses a broad range of fabric- or leather-sling chairs.

slingback chair

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.