How do you Spell: Smused, Smoosed?

As in: "Bill Smused the clients. Warming them up for the spiel from marketing."

  • The word you're looking for is probably "smooched". ;)
    – augurar
    Sep 5, 2014 at 4:28

1 Answer 1


I'll throw a guess you want schmooze (or shmooze as a spelling variant):

to talk with someone in a friendly way often in order to get some advantage for yourself

(From Merriam Webster)

  • 3
    Note that "schmooze" is intransitive: the usage is "Bill schmoozed with the clients, warming them up for the spiel from marketing."
    – Marthaª
    Sep 4, 2014 at 15:21
  • 2
    ... though it looks like Merriam-Webster lists a transitive usage for it, too, but that sounds Totally Wrong to my ear.
    – Marthaª
    Sep 4, 2014 at 15:23
  • 1
    "Schmooze" is not related to "amuse," and the two words' meanings are pretty different. That's why you didn't find it in a list of synonyms for "amuse."
    – librik
    Sep 4, 2014 at 16:31
  • 1
    @Marthaª I hear "schmoozed the client" more often than "schmoozed with the client"...maybe a local preference? Sep 4, 2014 at 18:01
  • 1
    Is no one going to mention that this is a Yiddishism? Nov 29, 2014 at 20:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.