I believe it was about one year ago that I listened to a song (title is “Hún Jörð” by the band Sigur Rós) on YouTube accompanied by video. I believe the video was taken from a film about Jesus and Christianity. The author used a term for this kind of combination of audio and visual, but I can’t remember it. Could anybody help me out?

Edit: When I looked up the word back then, I believe one of the definitions was something along the lines of “two things moving together” or “two things playing in harmony”.

  • Is montage the word you're looking for? Sep 2, 2014 at 21:35
  • No it's not, unfortunately.
    – user144345
    Sep 2, 2014 at 21:40
  • Is it concord ?
    – ermanen
    Sep 2, 2014 at 22:38
  • Sounds like tandem to me.
    – tchrist
    Sep 2, 2014 at 23:20

2 Answers 2


I guess you are referring to syncronize: (from Merriam-Webster Dic.)

  • to make (motion-picture sound) exactly simultaneous with the action.
  • How to Sync Video and Separately Recorded Audio, Using Only Open-Source Software

Source: www.thinkinghard.com


When media from multiple sources are combined or adapted, these are often called mashups.

mashup: a mixture or fusion of disparate elements.
(Source: Oxford Dictionaries)

A well-known mashup is Dark Side of the Rainbow, which combines Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon with V. Flemming's 1939 film The Wizard of Oz.

  • I don't like this answer because too many people use mashup to represent the interleaving of the same media type, e.g., mixing Rock and Dubstep. When I think of mashup I immediately think of this definition because it's so common on Youtube. In fact as further evidence of this, that Wikipedia article goes out of the way to specify "music video mashup".
    – Tommy
    Sep 9, 2014 at 1:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.