Let's say that I caused some nasty accident and someone was hurt and a judge told me that I have an obligation to amend their damage somehow.

However, some other person (or entity) will decide how these damages should be amended. E.g. paying the claimant 1000$ or helping mow their lawn for a month. What could this person be called in this context? Something more graceful than damage-fulfilment-decider.

  • Who's going to have the official word? The judge? The lawyers? An arbitrator? The insurance adjusters? Overseer?
    – SrJoven
    Aug 25, 2014 at 12:12
  • The judge did his part: he said I am guilty (at least in this scenario). As for the way of amending the damages the person I am asking about will have the final word. BTW it is of course a completely made-up story just to draw some context.
    – gregorej
    Aug 25, 2014 at 13:35
  • If you want something that revolves around settlement, I believe mediator does the job. Technically, a mediator would attempt to reach an agreement prior to any litigation/serious court proceedings. Sep 27, 2014 at 22:34

4 Answers 4


Arbitrator or loss-adjuster are job titles which are used in the UK, do they fit what you want?

  • Arbitrator might be close to what I am looking for. However, it appears that it is more a person who settles a dispute. In the case I presented there is not so much a dispute if I should amend the damages rather than deciding how I can amend them
    – gregorej
    Aug 25, 2014 at 9:34
  • FYI it was not me who -1'ed you
    – gregorej
    Aug 25, 2014 at 9:37
  • The system has determined this is a low-quality answer -- hence the downvote -- probably because it's phrased as a question. When writing an asnwer, write an answer. Include corroborative examples (which need to be correctly referenced).
    – Andrew Leach
    Aug 25, 2014 at 9:38
  • I love how you write "the system" to mean "a human being who has an account on this site".
    – Dan Bron
    Aug 25, 2014 at 10:20
  • 1
    Well, "the system" decided it was being unnecessarily unfriendly, so "the system" just set you back to flat (best I can do, sorry: I've only one +1 to give). That said, "the system" would like to see your rephrase your answer as an affirmative statement, with link to a dictionary or glossary of insurance terms, or whatever, rather than a question. "The system" also wishes you a warm welcome and hopes you stick around awhile.
    – Dan Bron
    Aug 25, 2014 at 11:15

If you don't mind digging to the origin (Etymonline):

  1. Arbiter is a less pragmatic but more pompous title that stresses on the idea of calling a "final" and irrevocable decision. It is more akin to "judge" and often used as an exaggeration: Well, you are not the arbiter of this dispute. Don't tell me what to do.

    As you might suspect, arbiter has multiple derivatives e.g. arbitrate, arbitrary.

  2. An alternative is enforcer with a hint of negativity and brawn.


Adjudicator pops to mind from somewhere, or less formally, referee. As a mostly self-taught linguist and fellow newbie/61-year-old, I surely share Helen's hesitance at the need for corroboration--in many if not most cases it dissolves into "vast experience"...


Assessor would be an appropriate term if you are strictly being ordered to remedy the other person's damages in strictly monetary terms. (In common law courts, this would almost certainly be the case.)

The noun "assessor" is not generally used to describe a person who does this (it is generally performed by the judge), but the phrase "assessment of damages" is used to describe the process of determining how much money should be paid. (See "The assessment of damages in accordance with applicable legal principles is a task for the tribunal of fact.", Halsbury's Laws of Australia 65(D)(1).)

Even if you want to refer to non-monetary obligations, I feel that the meaning of "assessor" could reasonably be expanded to include what you want to say.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.