Is there an English word for the practice of analysing texts to determine their authors?

For example, comparing three texts A, B and C and realising that the choice of words, grammar and style of writing between A and B is so similar that they're likely of the same author, while C is clearly by a different author.


Yes, you're looking for Stylometry:

Stylometry is the application of the study of linguistic style, usually to written language.

Stylometry is often used to attribute authorship to anonymous or disputed documents. It has legal as well as academic and literary applications, ranging from the question of the authorship of Shakespeare's works to forensic linguistics.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.