An electronic cigarette (e-cig or e-cigarette), personal vaporizer (PV) or electronic nicotine delivery system (ENDS) is a battery-powered vaporizer which simulates tobacco smoking by producing an aerosol[1] that resembles smoke. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_cigarette

These e-cigarettes have been commercially available in some countries for a couple of years, the UK included.

Has any slang word already been coined for them? (e-smoke? e-fag? e-dugans?)

  • I have a friend who calls them his puffers, but truth be told, I don’t know if he just invented that himself. And come to think of it, I didn’t know him back when he smoked regular cigarettes; I don’t know if he used to call those puffers, too. Aug 21, 2014 at 8:58

5 Answers 5


The noun vape for some of the electronic nicotine delivery devices seems to be coming into vogue. It appears to be short for vape pen, which in turn is short for vapor or vaporizing pen.

A common verb form is vaping.

A search for vape shows numerous usages.

SUPPLEMENT: As @JLG points out, vape now appears in the Oxford Dictionary Online, both in verb and noun forms.

  • 1
    I'm British and (FWIW) I've mostly heard "e-cigs" and "e-cigarettes", sometimes "e-fags" but never "electrofags". The nicotine "fuel" is mostly referred to as "eliquid". Vaping is the de facto verb now but "vape" isn't used as a noun, at least not commonly. I've seen the pipes referred to as "Vapers" but this more commonly refers to the person using it. I think the language is still in flux. Aug 7, 2017 at 7:59

I have seen them referred to as electrofags, as seen here:-

Electrofags – now more deadly than smoke.

It’s been some time since I mentioned Electrofags...

This is a natural derivation from the British slang fag:-

A cigarette: ‘she’s got a fag in her mouth, and she’s squinting her eyes against the smoke’ [Oxford Dictionaries]

but might not be suitable for American use, where fag has a different meaning.

  • 2
    In an American frame of thinking, electrofag brings to my mind someone disparagingly discussing young gay guys who go to rave parties. I suppose one might argue they’re both full of smoke and vapour, but the connection is still somewhat far-fetched. Works fine in a British mindset, of course. Aug 21, 2014 at 8:57

According to the following source fogger is another name for an e-cigarette:

  • fogger noun: an e-cigarette or electronic cigar



You asked for a slang word, in my experience they are referred to as a dummy. After the thing you put in a baby's mouth to stop it crying.

This is British English usage, so I suppose in American English the equivalent would be a pacifier.


Is poof pipe wrong? I'm sure I've heard comedians come up with more entertaining and derogatory names.

  • 2
    Welcome to English Language & Usage! Please explain your answer, preferably with some supporting statements and references. While opinions are valued, they are not of much help as answers.
    – NVZ
    May 23, 2017 at 5:40

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.