"Maegami tomeru" (前髪とめ〜る) is a Japanese velcro-like product that keeps womens' hair in place.

Is there a commonly accepted English translation of this name?

Bang Blocker found it hard to find a good translation

Enter Dariya's Maegami Tomeru... Front Hair Stopper. No. Bang Blocker... Hmm... Fringe Foiler?

Talking velcro and **** translations aside

A trademark application for the device said

Goods and Services:

Hair tapes; hair accessories, namely, devices for holding hair in place, namely, hair grip sheets, hair barrettes, hair tapes and hair ornaments; hook and pile fastening tapes

While a friend suggested "Fringe tape".

Picture of packaging and product in use for the "before-the-hair fixer-in-placer" (Japanese literalish translation)

  • I'm not an expert, but I do have a daughter. I'm not certain this product has made it to America. In what context are you writing about it? – Elliott Frisch Aug 18 '14 at 11:13
  • 2
    I now have an image in my head of a gaggle of Japanese women walking down the street with toupée-like hairstyles held up by thick Velcro tape. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Aug 18 '14 at 11:37
  • It's not available in the UK, as far as I'm aware. I guess we should just wait and see what the marketing guys decide to call it. – Urbycoz Aug 18 '14 at 15:10

I reverse Google image searched the picture you have and the first result is Bangs Guard, from a barcode search site, which itself links to an Amazon page for the product.

It seems a USA-centric term, since BrE for bangs is fringe, but it is the English product name.


I think that any type of product that keeps women's (or men's) hair in place could reasonably be called a "hair restraint." In the United States, however, the food service industry and various state and municipal statutes have adopted "hair restraints" to refer to what we used to call "hair nets," so it may have ruined the more general sense of the term.

Velcro, which has a very active copyright infringement watchdog section, says that the proper generic name for its primary product is "hook and loop fasteners." Unfortunately, if you were to walk into a shop and ask, "Do you sell hook and loop fasteners?" the average sales clerk would simply stare at you blankly, whereas if you were to ask "Do you sell Velcro?" you'd get an answer at once. Nevertheless, I wouldn't touch the name Velcro with a 10-foot lawyer if I were trying to come up with a problem-free name for my (non-Velcro) hook and loop fastener for hair.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.