I'm looking for a word that means 'enter a room fast and suddenly'. Using a dictionary I got the word 'to plunge' - however I'm not sure if that's correct.

When looking up 'to plunge' (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/plunge) it seems not to be completely correct, especially when looking at the example sentences.

So, is 'to plunge' also used with the meaning of 'entering a room fast and suddenly'? If not, what is such a word?


10 Answers 10



Definition #2 from Collins English Dictionary:

(intr) to come, go, etc., suddenly and forcibly. He burst into the room.

  • 3
    For OP's exact context, burst in is definitely first choice. Barging is more likely to reference things (and people) disrupted by the sudden entry. Plunging is more often metaphorical (he plunged into his work) unless the space being entered is full of liquid (i.e. - a swimming pool) Commented Apr 3, 2011 at 2:56


Definition #2 (verb) from Merriam-Webster Dicitonary:

(intr) to thrust oneself heedlessly or unceremoniously. She barged through the door without even knocking

  • I think "Barge" also has a feeling of violence/aggression associated with it.
    – apoorv020
    Commented Apr 3, 2011 at 12:46

Consider also storm, from the Free Dictionary:

To move or rush tumultuously, violently, or angrily: stormed into the room.

  • This one actually is a literal translation of the word in my language - I didn't know this can be said in English as well.
    – pimvdb
    Commented Apr 3, 2011 at 9:27

While I was making it up as a joke, @Callithumpian has encouraged me to offer "Kramering" as a real answer. Here is a definition from the Urban Dictionary, and here is a visual explanation of the origin of the term.


Rush from the Free Dictionary:

  1. To make a sudden or swift attack or charge.

Example: “He rushed into the room to break the bad news.”


She exploded into the room and hurled the knife at him.


Suddenly and fast, as in an invasion:

They crashed into the room and made the arrest.




Perhaps charged as in following?

She charged into the room to see what was amiss.


I'd most often use " burst into the room" or maybe "barged into..." although to me the second also has the suggestion of interrupting someone

  • 2
    This is just an echo of the highest-voted answers. When answering, please add unique suggestions or information.
    – Dan Bron
    Commented Jul 31, 2015 at 17:20

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.