What do you call a water tap placed on the outside of a house?

Picture of external tap

I'm looking for the correct technical term in English. Here in Sweden there seems to be only one vendor and model, which I'm not so fond of, so with the right technical term I can search the internet for alternatives.

  • 1
    Outdoor/Outside/External/Garden tap are all used. Standpipe is sometimes used but on looking at a few dictionary definitions it must have a colloquial meaning of public water supply via a pipe topped with a tap that hasn't found it's way into any dictionaries. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standpipe_(street) which at least confirms some of my understanding of standpipe
    – Frank
    Commented Aug 13, 2014 at 8:40
  • 3
    You have hot water running to the outside?? Wow!
    – Jim
    Commented Nov 24, 2017 at 22:33
  • The answers below answer your question, but, as a Canadian I am jealous of the tap you find inadequate. They're better than anything I've seen available here.
    – Al Maki
    Commented Dec 7, 2017 at 3:38

5 Answers 5


I think it is called outside tap or garden tap:

  • Fitting an Outside Tap - How to Install a Garden Tap Yourself
  • 2
    I also found garden tap when looking for outside tap. There's also external tap. Google search, which produces decent results for me.
    – Andrew Leach
    Commented Aug 13, 2014 at 8:41

Also note the term sillcock (wiktionary: “A faucet designed to be installed horizontally on the outside wall of a building, typically to attach a hose”). Closely related terms include “Water spigot ... valve, hose hydrant, hose bibb, or sillcock” as noted in a caption in the valve wikipedia article.

  • Yeah, sillcock is the term I hear the most often in the US, and is the term that plumbers generally use. (Though truth be told, most people don't know what to call it, so terms such as "outside faucet" are often heard.)
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Oct 4, 2016 at 12:00

In the US it's called a bibb or bibcock [American Heritage]

  • 1
    Google sillcock and bibcock. See which one comes up with the most images of the item.
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Oct 4, 2016 at 12:03

In the UK they are known as Bib Taps or Bib Cocks. If they have a hose attachment they are known as Hose Union Bib Taps/Cocks.

  • Welcome to ELU.SE.This site strives to provide objective answers. Take the site tour or have a look at the help center to find out more about good answers. As it stands your answer is purely subjective.
    – Helmar
    Commented Oct 4, 2016 at 11:16
  • Never hear this usage in the UK...
    – NeilB
    Commented Oct 29, 2019 at 22:24

in australia they are just called "garden tap"

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.