Is there a word that means "the thingy on top of the building"? Like the crescent on a mosque or the cross on a church or the weather-vane on a barn?

1 Answer 1


You could use the word finial.

A distinctive section or ornament at the apex of a roof, canopy, etc. on a building:
curving gables topped by sculptured finials


  • Good one, I really didn't know you could use finial to describe the cross or weather-vane.
    – Fattie
    Commented Aug 12, 2014 at 9:24
  • 1
    Next time you go to a fancy restaurant, look for the finials on top of the lamps. Commented Aug 12, 2014 at 15:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.