I want to know a word for a group of students who enroll in a university at the same department at the same time. I tried looking it up in google but didn't get any real results.

  • 2
    One could say that they are in the same cohort, perhaps. Aug 8, 2014 at 20:28
  • 1
    They're in the same class (or, sometimes in sociological or marketing contexts, the same cohort).
    – Dan Bron
    Aug 8, 2014 at 20:29
  • 1
    So I should say for example : cohort of 2010? or cohort of students of 2010? (when I want to say students who entered in 2010) Aug 8, 2014 at 20:33
  • @soroosh.strife I'd just say Class of 2010. That's how I've always known it, at least in the American school system.
    – fuandon
    Aug 8, 2014 at 20:39
  • 2
    @Fumble Cohort is exactly what is used in this context in the UK.
    – Andrew Leach
    Aug 8, 2014 at 20:48

6 Answers 6


You might be thinking of batch or cohort.

The batch of students that enrolled this year are very naughty.

The cohort of students that graduated last year have all found jobs.


If you want to say the "the ____ of 2010", the word you're looking for is class:

a body of students or alumni whose year of graduation is the same

Merriam-Webster online, entry for class, n.

  • Which year does "2010" refer to? The year they entered, or the year they left?
    – Andrew Leach
    Aug 8, 2014 at 20:40
  • The year they left. If you join as a junior in 2008, then you're still in the class of 2010 (because it is expected you will graduate 2 years hence, along with our classmates who enrolled as freshmen in 2006).
    – Dan Bron
    Aug 8, 2014 at 20:42
  • 1
    So as an answer to the expanded question in the comments, "I want to say students who entered in 2010," this isn't particularly good, or at least, it's not clear.
    – Andrew Leach
    Aug 8, 2014 at 20:43
  • I didn't see that expansion. Thanks for pointing out the update.
    – Dan Bron
    Aug 8, 2014 at 20:44
  • Doesn't it depend on whether you're talking about undergraduate or graduate? e.g. if you're a PhD coming in 2010, doesn't that make you class of 2010 rather than (say) class of 2016, since it's hard to predict when you'd be graduating?
    – user541686
    Aug 9, 2014 at 4:18

I would call them 'The 2010 intake'. That is the way in which schoolchildren are described in Britain and I see no reason not to use it for university students.


To answer your question (in the comments) of what to call students who entered in 2010, you can just call them "2010 enrollees".



A person who has matriculated or been registered on a list or roll, usually at a school. See http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/matriculant


The answers so far have given the same set of words listed in similar questions What is the difference between “Class of 2004” and “Batch of 2004”? and What is the “group name” for students who entered / left university in the same year?. (Matriculant, not mentioned in either question, perhaps is an exception, although matriculating and matriculation appear in comments to them.)

Note that none of the terms proffered so far address the “at the same department” provision of the present question. Constructions like English department cohort or Math department cohort would do so, at the cost of more words. Informally, one might refer to such a group as a coterie (“An exclusive group of people, who associate closely for a common purpose; a clique”) or clique (“A small, exclusive group of individuals; cabal”). In some cases, the departmental faculty and graduate advisors may be a camarilla.

[Link sources: ELU and Wiktionary]

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.