Presently I have 3 different colors. I am referring to them as:

  • light (could be sky blue or pink)
  • middle (could be blue or red)
  • dark (could be navy or crimson)

Is there a better way to describe the lightness darkness of the colors?

If I had four or five different darknesses that I waned to describe what would be the best way to refer to them? The best I have come up with would be something like:

  • very light
  • light
  • middle
  • dark
  • very dark
  • Did you check a thesaurus for synonyms of "light", "dark", and "medium"? Commented Aug 6, 2014 at 17:27
  • @MattGutting - For 'dark', the thesaurus returns things like: black, darkened, dim, shadowy, obscure, unlit. If I told you, I had a dark color and a dim color which would you say was closer to black (ie darker). Commented Aug 6, 2014 at 17:54
  • The usual term is mid-blue not middle blue. Commented Aug 6, 2014 at 18:40

1 Answer 1


It depends on the context, but in photography the tones are sometimes called:

  • White
  • Highlight
  • Midtone
  • Shadow
  • Black

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.