A grassy bit of land with a post-and-wire fence delineating the near side, and a row of trees marking another boundary. There's a dirt road along the outside of the fence, and a car parked a bit further on.

I thought of fenced plot or land lot, but I'm not sure. They are usually used for farming or raising livestock, but sometimes for nothing at all.


I would use field (see Google definition).

  • 2
    +1 In the British Isles these are almost always referred to as fields
    – SW4
    Aug 1 '14 at 13:57

Pasture: land or a plot of land used for grazing


Sward, field, plot, pasture, meadow, acreage


If you want to give emphasis on enclosure (as in a fenced area), you can use corral in North American English and paddock in New Zealand and Australia.

corral: chiefly ( US ), ( Canadian ) an enclosure for confining cattle or horses

paddock: Australian. any enclosed field or pasture.

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com

These words are usually used for the enclosed fields that contain livestock but not necessarily.

Wikipedia says:

In the American west, such an enclosure is often called a "corral," and may be used to contain cattle or horses, occasionally other livestock.

In New Zealand and Australia, however, a paddock is a field of grassland of any size, especially for keeping sheep or cattle. It is normally fenced and defined by its natural boundaries, or is otherwise considered distinct. The equivalent concept in the North America and the UK is a pasture.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.