I've been looking for the synonyms (especially poetic ones) referring to the nouns "tear" and "tear-drop". Unfortunately, there wasn't much for me to find. I've found two, poetic ones - "brine" and "lachryma". Are there some other (poetic or even archaic) synonyms?

  • 2
    If you live on Arrakis, you might well describe someone crying as shedding water. I've always found that quite poetic. May not work in your context, of course. (Arrakis is a desert planet where water is extremely scant, so shedding valuable water is seen as a sign of great emotion.) Jul 27 '14 at 19:56

Waterworks is used as a slang term which means tears or the source of tears.

Though, it is usually used in the idiom turn on the waterworks which means to start crying (especially for a dramatic effect).

Note: Waterworks is also used as a humorous euphemism for the urinary system in British English, so use the word with caution.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.