I was hoping to use a word to say that in a song lyric, the translation of the original language appears directly below the original language throughout the song, without having to say all that. I thought "subscribed" made sense (sub=below; scribed=written), but can't find any dictionaries that give that definition to the word.

  • Because human language is a combinatoric art rather than a crossword puzzle, we normally do and should use multiple words to describe elaborate concepts.
    – tchrist
    Jul 25, 2014 at 23:30

3 Answers 3


According to dictionary.reference.com, interlinear is:

  1. situated or inserted between lines, as of the lines of print in a book: a Latin text with interlinear translation.

What you are describing is subtitling, which according to dictionary.reference.com is:

3. Movies, Television.

a. the text of dialogue, speeches, operas, etc., translated into another language and projected on the lower part of the screen.

b. (in silent motion pictures) a title or caption.


Juxtaposition is not very specific to music but could work.

According to Google, the word means:

the fact of two things being seen or placed close together

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.