What do you call someone who's running after power and is hungry of controlling everything/everyone, all the time? Somehow like a moderator Darth Vader.

  • Presidential candidate
    – Kris
    Aug 23, 2016 at 12:25

2 Answers 2


Such a person (as Darth Vader, not an ELU moderator! :) would be called a...

megalomaniac - a person who has an obsessive desire for power

The adjectival form megalomaniacal does occur, but it's nowhere near as common as the noun.

  • You better add the cite in text as well or @tchrist will be on you.
    – bib
    Jul 19, 2014 at 20:12
  • @bib: Meh. In the unlikely event the link gets broken, it would be easy to find again. And even if oxforddictionaries ceased to have an online presence, I'm sure there'd always be another dictionary with the same definition. Jul 20, 2014 at 0:45
  1. power-hungry: what it says

  2. control freak: someone who has a great desire or a compulsion to control things (including other people)

  3. power-hungry control freak: 1 + 2


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.