Say there's a small animal hidden among bushes and it causes the branches (if they can be called that) of the bushes to shake/move slightly. Now the sound of this could probably be described using rustling, but what word would use to describe the visual shaking/movement of the bushes?

6 Answers 6



  • 3
    -1: Sorry, but bushes don't tremble!
    – Jimi Oke
    Mar 30, 2011 at 2:40
  • 2
    Sorry, found a few references to trembling bushes. Duly upvoted your answer. +1 +1 !
    – Jimi Oke
    Mar 30, 2011 at 2:43
  • 1
    I think only -aspens- tremble. Everything else rustles.
    – Mitch
    Nov 19, 2011 at 17:51

According to the Free Dictionary, you have it backwards: rustling refers to the movement, and the sound is thus implied. Personally I associate the word so strongly with both the movement and the sound that I would use it for either meaning.

So, stick with rustling.

To add to the other answers, a simple accurate word: shaking.

  • 4
    The dictionaries I checked (M-W, Oxford) indicate that he doesn't have it backwards. They do agree that the sound and movement are closely associated though.
    – z7sg Ѫ
    Mar 29, 2011 at 12:09
  • 6
    I agree rustling primarily relates to the sound, but movement is strongly implied (we wouldn't normally say something rustled if we could see it wasn't moving). But if I were looking through binoculars at a distant bush being disturbed by rabbit, I might say it trembled, rather than rustled - simply to avoid the inappropriate referemce to sound. Mar 29, 2011 at 13:13
  • Technically you can't have sound without movement. You can have movement without sound (e.g. in a vacuum). Mar 29, 2011 at 14:35
  • 2
    I like rustling. It has the added benefit of conjuring up images of cowboys stealing cattle. (Apparently the cowboys hide in the bushes and wait for a cow to wander past so they can shake the bushes and scare the cow... ...or something...)
    – oosterwal
    Mar 29, 2011 at 15:31
  • I'd associated 'rustling' more with the sound, rather than just the movement. I like 'trembling' and 'quivering' (as Chris suggested below) though. Nothing else more specific? Mar 29, 2011 at 18:24

Suppose the small animal happens to be a tortoise, the bushes might slowly flex as the tortoise lumbers between them.

Now suppose the animal is Tasmanian Devil, the bushes might flap violently as the Devil rushes through.

If a breeze is blowing the bushes might rustle.


I think it is hard to beat rustling but consider swaying or, more poetically, shivering.


I would use quivering.


Thinking of the rigidity of bushes I would fall on shudder; it fits well with the shape of the object.

Shudder also implies a geometric uneasiness, and pins and needles. A part of your question (the movement/sound of a leaf) is answered by rustling; shudder is complementary as it pushes further into the character of bushes or shrubbery, and moves away from trees and more pliant plants.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.