What is the counterpart to overheard, when I did not heard, but read something in passing? Overread is rather the opposite, namely

To read over, or peruse.

Possible alternatives I could think of are notice and found.

From: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Overread

  • 1
    I don't believe there is a single word for this (that means almost nothing). The usual phrase is 'read over your/someone's shoulder'. Jul 10, 2014 at 14:02

3 Answers 3


I would say "came across", as in:

I was reading the New York Times and came across an interesting piece on....


Probably to glimpse may fit:

v.intr. To look briefly; glance: glimpsed at the headlines.

  • Thanks, this is nice. Although it sounds a bit like to look briefly at something one intended to look at, at least to me - but I am no native speaker.
    – miku
    Jul 10, 2014 at 15:16
  • @miku - it can be used to indicate an intentional look at something, But it is often used for casual, brief or incomplete views of something. : to catch a glimpse of the sea.
    – user66974
    Jul 10, 2014 at 15:37

Espy - to catch sight of.

You can use it in several contexts.

I accidently espied a weird word while looking for a word in the dictionary.

I espied a new fact while turning the pages of her notebook.

  • Thanks for teaching me a new word. I think it suits the requirements well.
    – miku
    Jul 10, 2014 at 15:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.