Please explain to me (non-native speaker) what the word "cinemaddict" means. What synonyms does it have?

  • 2
    Where have you heard this? – mmyers Aug 24 '10 at 15:41
  • bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11066046 <-this – eds Aug 25 '10 at 15:29
  • Referenced in Bill Bryson's book "One Summer" as a squashed neologism of the 1920's coined in Time magazine. – user156915 Jan 23 '16 at 17:18

"Film buff" is fairly common term for a person who is a fan of cinema. A few years ago there was a documentary Cinemania, but I've never heard the terms cinemaddict or cinemanic.

| improve this answer | |
  • Film buff - bingo! excellent! – Molfar Aug 25 '10 at 11:16

It sounds like a portmanteau word created from "cinema" and "addict", but I've never heard it used before.

| improve this answer | |
  • and presumably therefore means someone who is addicted to the cinema. – nohat Aug 24 '10 at 18:03
  • The curse of the portmanteau has arrived on this site too. Soon every article here will be edited to include the word "portmanteau" and a link to the Wikipedia article. – delete Aug 25 '10 at 1:09
  • 2
    @JohnFx: a bunch of insane gnomes on Wikipedia add the word "portmanteau" in every possible place they can, for some reason, and cling onto the addition for grim death, adding the articles with "portmanteau" to their "watchlist" so that they can instantly restore the word if anyone tries to remove or change it. This is quite well-known on Wikipedia. For example, look at the talk page on the "portmanteau" article. The most surprising thing about it is that linguists don't even use this word; they use the word "blend". – delete Sep 17 '10 at 23:01
  • Portmanteau is, however, a perfectly cromulent word for this purpose. – slim Dec 20 '11 at 17:42

"Cinemaddict" sounds like it is a kind of pun made from "cinematic" and "addict".

| improve this answer | |
  • In its current form, this is really the only possible answer to this question. – Goodbye Stack Exchange Aug 25 '10 at 1:56

I would assume it refers to a person who commonly visits the cinema to watch movies (a cinema addict).

As far as I am aware, it is not an actual word and is likely something used occasionally by people in a colloquial context. However, I can't find much supporting evidence around the net for this assumption.

Edit: as requested, another term which essentially means the same thing might be 'movie-goer' (person who visits the movies). Having said that, I think the exact word you might use could change depending on the context.

Edit 2: asking for a domain name is probably another question in itself, and it's such an open-ended question I'm not sure how much I can necessarily help you. Perhaps some kind of variation depending on the person's name?

  • JoeWatchesMovies.com
  • ThoughtsOnFilms.com / ThoughtsOnMovies.com

I haven't checked whether those (or any like it) are available though. I'm sure others might be able to offer more (and better) suggestions, but its a little outside the topic of this site really.

| improve this answer | |
  • could you suggest any synonyms? I need o word like this, which means the person - movie critit, honest critis, movie watcher etc. – Molfar Aug 24 '10 at 10:59
  • I'm looking for a nice domain's name for a personal blog of movie critic. Could you suggest me something? – Molfar Aug 24 '10 at 11:13

Someone who is addicted to cinemas (or movies)

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.