Does anybody know if there is a name for a picture of a face made from the actual letters of a name?

This picture from the band T'Pau's album cover is a good example what I'm looking for - Heart and Soul album cover

I saw a set of them at an art gallery years ago that used different people's first names, but I haven't been able to find anything since and no look with google.

  • Nitpicky, but which album cover? I can't see the image you've posted. – Lou Jul 8 '14 at 20:27
  • 1
    Pictures made of characters are commonly called ASCII art, but I wouldn't call that album cover ASCII. – Anonym Jul 8 '14 at 20:31
  • It was the cover of "Heart and Soul". Try this link en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_and_Soul_(T'Pau_song) – Mark R Jul 8 '14 at 20:31
  • 1
    Gotcha. I agree that's not ASCII art. – Lou Jul 8 '14 at 20:38
  • 1
    Henohenomoheji (へのへのもへじ) or hehenonomoheji (へへののもへじ) is related. It is a face drawn using hiragana characters. – ermanen Jul 8 '14 at 22:07

This image appears to be an autologlyph as illustrated at segerman.org.

This form of expression is discussed in out sister site, Graphic Design, here.

The technique has also been called visual onomatopoeia as illustrated in Scientific American

Lauren Ipsum has suggested a neologism, fontomatopoeia.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.