I was wondering: is there in English a specific phrase to denote a music band not playing with its whole current group of members?


Depending on context...

For a small music group such as a rock band, for example, I'd mention the missing current members:

"The legendary Prog-Rock group YES will be touring the US this summer minus its iconic lead vocalist, Jon Anderson."

If it's a large group such as the US Army Band, for example, I might call the smaller group an "ensemble" made up of members from the US Army Band.

  • Thanks Kristina. What if I'm talking about more than one concert and the missing member is not the same in all instances?
    – Dek Dekku
    Jul 8 '14 at 13:36
  • 1
    Similar to what Kristina says, I have seen people say current lineup, eg, "Supertramp will be playing live with their current lineup featuring the original member X"
    – sksamuel
    Jul 11 '14 at 18:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.